The happy couple :)
We're happy to report that we've made some significant progress in this crazy adventure. We've also made some unfortunate discoveries....
First off, the roof has been repaired by none other than Travis!
The photo might be a little confusing but what we're looking at is the roof repair I made. The bottom of the photo is the wall, so we're looking up onto the roof. It may not look amazing, but for a first-timer with mediocre tools I'd say it's pretty good! Obviously this won't be visible once we're done building. Insulation and dry wall will cover this all up.
The next step is working on the floor. We need to tear it up and wash the inside of the trailer, it smells kinda strange. We think we figured out why... there wasn't any dead bodies in it (although we did find dead birds :( and there was rotting wood).
Yes, that's a bird egg. The nest we found there was quite big, but was long abandoned.
Fortunately, I have a very proactive girlfriend and she wanted to get some serious stuff done, so we started on the floor and almost got to where we need to be!
What we're looking at here is the main frame of the trailer. There's a big piece of metal there in the metal to connect the trailer to a semi-truck via something called the "kingpin".
You can also see where our tree trunks are touching the trailer. That piece of metal is probably the strongest part of the whole trailer, so we don't fear it bending, breaking or failing on us.
What we need to do now is clear the floor about halfway, then get a power washer and wait for a warm day (like today and yesterday). Once a warm day approaches we'll come back, clear the entire trailer, tear up the floor in the early morning, then power wash that monster!
When we're done power washing it, we'll need to prep the sub-floor so we can still walk on it and begin drawing on the windows and doors, cutting the metal, then slowly but surely building the interior wood frame. Exciting times!!! Stay tuned!